What is Scalp Micropigmentation?
If you want natural looking results that relieve the frustrating effects of hair loss, Scalp Micropigmentation is the choice for you.
What is it?
This procedure is the ultimate in non-surgical male and female scalp and hairline reconstruction; an incredible life-changing treatment where natural looking pigments are applied in the epidermal level of the scalp to replicate the natural appearance of real hair follicles. Scalp Micropigmentation is suitable for all types and stages of hair-loss, on all ages, colours and skin types.
Scalp Micropigmentation (SMP) is a highly advanced method of cosmetic pigmentation. While similar to traditional tattooing, Scalp Micropigmentation is also unique in a variety of ways. SMP involves the use of highly specialized equipment and techniques to inject pigment into the scalp. Scalp Micropigmentation is an extremely intricate procedure with a natural result.
How long does it last?
These procedures are considered permanent, however most will require some upkeep every few years as the pigments fade much quicker on the head than any where else on the body. Also if there is more hair loss these new areas will require work as well.
What to expect?
Usually 2-3 sessions are required to build the desired hair density. Sessions are 2-4 weeks apart. No aftercare lotions are needed, but you may experience a little bit of itchiness around the 3 or 4th day post procedure. Cetaphil shampoo and grapeseed oil are great items to get for your aftercare treatment.
Preparing for your appointment:
No alcohol consumption 24 hours prior to your appointment.
No over the counter blood thinners 24 hours prior to your appointment (ex, ibuprofen, ASA).
After your procedure
You can expect some redness that will dissipate within a few hours.
While there are many available options for treating hair loss, most are unreasonably expensive, unreliable, and add to your frustration instead of relieving it. Hair transplants often leave nasty scars and typically cost far more than the value you receive. Hair Clubs are also very expensive and can require literally a lifetime of returning and maintaining. Wigs are another option, but most men and women simply don’t feel comfortable with the potential embarrassment which can be caused by a displacement. Wigs also need continual maintenance, and the reality of it is this: wigs rarely do a convincing job of covering up hair loss.
What’s more is that this doesn’t just help people seeking that “freshly-shaved” look. This treatment can help anyone help with:
- Adding Density
- Male Pattern Baldness
- Women’s hair loss
- Repair bad treatments
- Cover Scars
Scalp Micropigmentation Treatment Process
Treatment is typically completed across 2-3 sessions at 10-14 day intervals. Below, we’ll take you through the process step-by-step:
- Your initial consultation appointment is first. Consultations can be done in-person, over the phone, or over video chat via Skype, FaceTime, etc, in order to gain an understanding of what results you want to achieve from your treatment. I will guide you through the process and help you decide which style is best for you. We then create a plan of action, mapping out what is required to reach your goal and get the results you desire.
- Next, treatment begins. It’s best to be conservative on your first treatment in order to achieve the optimal end result. This initial session is to lay the foundation of your new look. After the first treatment, your scalp will be a little red, but within a single day this typically returns to normal.
- The second treatment allows us to fill in more detail and go a shade darker than your initial session. This session is where your treatment really comes to life, and your new look is perfected. Any concerns, questions or requests will be handled during this meeting.
- Occasionally, but not always, a third procedure may take place. Third treatments are typically done by the request of the client, if they would like to go even darker.
How it Works
When your ink in inserted into the affected area, the color is skillfully matched with your natural hair color with precision. Additionally, this color is a shade darker than your natural colour, which gives the illusion of a shadow and the appearance of three-dimensional, natural hair.
The treatment is administered softly, in a gentle approach, and results look unbelievably natural.
Each client’s needs are unique. During your consultation, we will talk to you about exactly what results you want to get, and ensure a custom procedure, designed to give you the desired effects that you’re looking for.
The Range of Scalp Micropigmentation Options
There are a variety of options/styles available. We have outlined some of the most popular below:
Soft Hairline and Widowed Peak
Many people want their current hairline lowered, replenishing where it has receded over time, and giving the appearance of fuller hair and a clean hairline. We follow the natural hairline by layering the impressions, thus giving the realistic appearance of hair with no hard line. We make sure to match the ink color perfectly to that of the client, resulting in an incredibly effective and strikingly natural result.
Adding Density to Thinning Hair
Men and women of all ages have found Scalp Micropigmentation as their solution to cover or fill in thinning hair. Thinning can result in a wide, undesirable scalp area showing through the hair. Typically, the person will have an even coverage across the scalp, but the density drops as the hair loss progresses. Scalp Micropigmentation replaces the lost density, resulting in the appearance of an even, full head of hair.
With this focused and specialized approach, we treat the front hairline and let it blur into density with a natural look. The initial treatment is gentle and soft, increasing density throughout the rest of the thinning hair. We also create a three-dimensional effect, giving the appearance of a natural shadow. This technique is a great choice for you if you have had a hair transplant but didn’t end up with the desired density.
Scalp Micropigmentation Treatments for Women
Many women suffer from hair loss and thinning hair. Dealing with thinning hair can be devastating to a woman making this the ideal treatment. Many women need color added to their scalp to cover natural separations made from long hair. If you can see scalp, we cover this up to allow for it to look healthy and full. Scalp Micropigmentation is perfect if you are a woman who is thinning on the top or across the crown section of your head.
Scalp Micropigmentation for Hair Transplant Patients
If you have had a hair transplant, you may have been left with scars as a result of this procedure. The technique used is a highly advanced style of Scalp Micropigmentation which doesn’t just cover the scars, but also gives the appearance of a fuller head of hair by adding density to existing hair, or creating the look of a shaved head; depending on the client.
Scalp Micropigmentation is the perfect solution for the effective concealment of FUT strip scars, FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) scars, scalp reduction scars, and Historic Plug or Cobblestone scars from old-fashioned hair restoration procedures.
Most hair transplants are not as effective as Scalp Micropigmentation due to the sheer lack of donor hair. People are often left with only two choices: They can continue having multiple hair restoration treatments that leave patients with more scars and cost even more money, or proceed with Scalp Micropigmentation, which provides guaranteed results and little-to-no ongoing maintenance – Seems like a pretty easy choice, right?
(Clients experience redness immediately following treatment, from anywhere from 30 minutes to 8 hours, depending on their skin type.)
Why People Choose Scalp Micropigmentation
Scalp Micropigmentation will give you a look of a full head of hair, just after a fresh – close cut hair style. No one will notice that it is an ink treatment, you can return to work the day after your procedure and people will think you look great, but they will have no idea that you underwent treatment. The look of our Scalp Micropigmentation is so real that no person or camera will ever pick up on your secret.
There are a wide range of reasons you may be looking into Scalp Micropigmentation as your hair loss solution. We have treated thousands of clients, each with differing reasons and causes of hair loss. Whatever the reason, Scalp Micropigmentation is your best option.
With regular hair transplant procedures, particularly FUE, most hair-density will be lost within the first few months, so it can often take up to a year to get the best results out of those procedures.
With the Scalp Micropigmentation technique, density will be added, and the desired results start to appear immediately after treatment commences.
The length at which your hair can be kept after the completion of both procedures is entirely dependent on your individual hairstyle. With the combined approach, you can have more density and fullness without the need to shave.
After reading about everything that goes into micropigmentation, from the different ways treatment can help to the way treatment works, our average client with male pattern baldness falls within a pricing range of $1100 to $2000. (A simple scar cover-up may be less, and severe forms of hair loss may be more.) Of course, pricing for this kind of treatment isn’t going to be a one-size-fits-all kind of deal. Instead, there are a number of factors that will help us determine exactly how much your treatment is going to cost you:
- Treatment Area: whether you’re facing male pattern baldness, female pattern baldness, alopecia, or complete baldness, the total amount of area we have to cover will be a large factor in your pricing. If the human head has an average of 100,000 hair follicles, how many follicles do we have to replicate?
- Skin Type: If you have particularly dry or sensitive skin, additional considerations will have to be made by our team in how to treat you without hurting your skin. If you have lots of scar tissue or thick skin, we might need more treatments than someone without those things.
- Scarring: scar tissue takes a special kind of attention. If you have light scarring, then everything may proceed as normal, but if there is a lot of scarring or they are dark or thick, then there are a number of options to choose from on how to realistically hide that tissue.
- Hair Density and Style: This will determine many things, from the colors we have to use to the number of follicles we have to replicate to the actual style of micropigmentation treatment you want to go with.
The most reliable way for us to give you a pricing amount is to come in person for a consultation, but if you send us a few pictures of yourself along with a description, we can get back to you in one to two days with a quote. I will travel for SMP clients between BC and AB.